Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Master of All Things MDA

The title is what I'm considering calling myself - that's not too pretentious is it? I'm getting ahead of myself though. Tuesday night is Erev Nativ which this week was an Israel Update courtesy of Yossi. We watched the Gilad Shalit video and Yossi talked to us about it and also Goldstone. It wasn't really anything I didn't know, but it was interesting to hear directly from an Israeli. I hope my cocky quotient isn't getting too high in the first paragraph. Ariella and I decided that we should read the Goldstone Report. We then considered how long it would be - I guessed 200ish she thought 500 - actual total: 575. Maybe we'll skim it. After the Israel Update, we had our semester orientation where Yossi told us all sorts of crucially important things that I can't quite remember now.

Now back to MDA. Well, with the 60 hour course under my belt, I sat down for the test this morning feeling not so confident. We needed to get an 80 or higher on the written exam and be able to administer CPR on an adult, CPR on a baby, and PHTLS (Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support). The morning was devoted to the written exam. I answered the questions as best I could and then breezed through the Hebrew translations we needed to do. I was very nervous after the test - I was pretty sure that I missed the 80 by at least a couple of points. After lunch, Josh and I worked as a team for the practical. The practical made me feel much better because I was really confident and did everything right. We finished our practical at around 2:30 and then we had until 6:30 for dinner and we would head back to the classroom on -3 at 7:00 for our results.

Josh and Sophie (who I got everyone calling Girl Seffi because our names sound similar) and I hung out in the room for a while. Dinner was fine and then we went to get our results. Seri met with us one by one and the rest of us played Jungle Speed - a mix of Uno, the card game Spit and the most basic primal warfare. When Seri called me in I was ready for the worst. Then I saw my paper had an 87 written at the top and I knew that I'd passed. We went over what I got wrong and then she congratulated me. I was really glad to have passed, especially since not all of the class did. People get to retake things tomorrow and then we have a celebratory barbeque at the tayelet.

It's pretty cool to think that I have the knowledge and skills to save someones life in a variety of dangerous situations. I don't really know how well I'll be able to handle the pressure of the situations themselves when in the moment, but only time will tell. Josh and I went out for ice cream to celebrate tonight before watching Lost with the girls.

Getting unspeakably excited for classes to begin.

Talk to you soon,
Seffi

No comments:

Post a Comment