Thursday, November 5, 2009

Yankees Win!

So, in case you haven't heard, the Yankees won the World Series! Joey isn't talking today, but once he recovers a little, we'll be cutting into his hair.

So, back to Monday. Monday, if you'll recall, was the day Jerusalem was behaving like flood-era Mesopotamia. A little rain doesn't stop the Jerusalem girls flag football league though. I headed over to Kraft Stadium with our team and the coaches because I wanted to cheer on my friends. The guy at the gate stopped me (like he did last time) and told me that I couldn't go in because the religious girls didn't want any men in the stadium. After I explained to him that I was my staff member Shosh's brother, and argued a little, I was admitted to the stadium with the warning that "If anything happens, I'm coming for you." I'm not really sure what he thought would happen - an orthodox girl melts into a puddle of goo upon being seen in long athletic shorts by a man? I suppose anything is possible. Anyway, our girls lost but we had fun. On the way home, Debbie, Rachel, Jordana, Arielle, Adina and I decided to order pizza for when we got home. We called Joshy and had him order and then all seven of us had a pizza party back in the room.

On Tuesday, Josh and I headed to school for Hebrew. Hebrew was fine, and then we had the real reason to go to Hebrew U - the Frank Sinatra Cafeteria. I'm not sure that I've communicated just how good this food is in my blog. Even though we've been at Hebrew U for 3 months already, we still spend much of our lunchtime discussing just how good the food is. Right now, I'm really loving the grilled chicken with a side of couscous, but everything is so good.

Tuesday night was Erev Nativ. Our staff had planned a program to be held outside, but as it was still Atlantis out there, they canceled the program and instead showed us the movie Someone to Run With (משהו לרץ אתו) based on the book by David Grossman (a famous Israeli author who I best knew before this for his son's death during the Second Lebanon War). I had seen about 45 minutes in the middle of this movie on Pilgrimage during our groups free time when Raffi and I snuck into another group's program. I hated it then so I didn't expect too much. The movie still doesn't make my top 10 (or 30...or 50) list, but it was interesting, and not as bad as I remembered.

Yesterday I had class from 8:30-6:00, with lunch in the middle (at the Frank, of course). During a break between classes I read about the taking of a ship loaded with Iranian weapons on its (presumably) to Hizballah and Hamas by way or Syria. The mission was carried out by the Israeli special forces unit Shayetet 13, considered to be the most intense of Israel's special forces units. Having not really read much about the Israeli special forces, I spent about an hour diving into Wikipedia learning about them - very interesting stuff. When I got home, I had Mark Lazar (Jewish Educator Training course), which was fun again, and again, very informative. After that, we watched one episode of Lost, and then it was time for bed.

I woke up at 3 am and watched the first two innings of the game on my computer. The Yankees taking a 2-0 lead in the bottom (that's the second half, Nav) of the inning acted like a security blanket, and I drifted off to sleep happy. In the morning I awoke to the (expected) news that the Yankees are once again atop the baseball world. Finally, I've missed gloating.

Today was only Freshman Writing which is still useless. My teacher doesn't accept newspaper or magazine articles as credible sources - that will make writing my paper harder, but it is what it is, and I'll just have to tough this one out. After Freshman Writing was lunch at the Frank which made FW much easier to swallow. Lunch was a lot of fun. I sat and talked with Gabe and Rachel about their summer at Ramah this past summer and how I would love to work there if my plans to staff Wheels fall through.

When I got home, I almost went to Museum on the Seam with Ariella, Jesse and Joshy, but in the end we realized we didn't have time. Tonight is the 5th of November, so Gabe planned a screening of the movie V for Vendetta (if you've seen it, then you'll get why the date matters). I plan on going to that and then turning in for an early (for a Thursday) night. We need to be up early tomorrow for our first session of a closed weekend full of sessions with Jules Gutin, Director of USY. Should be fun, especially since he is bringing me issues of SI.

Talk to you soon,
Seffi

No comments:

Post a Comment